Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> Wultsch (who doesn't ever want to kill queries and therefore would be
> happy with a boolean), Yeb Havinga (who never wants to stall recovery
> and therefore would also be happy with a boolean), and Florian Pflug
> (who points out that pause/resume is actually a nontrivial feature).
> Apologies if I've left anyone out or misrepresented their position.
>
> Overall I would say opinion is about evenly split between:
>
> - leave it as-is
> - make it a Boolean
> - change it in some way but to something more expressive than a Boolean
>
> I can't presume to extract a consensus from that; I don't think there
> is one.  You could say "the majority of people want to change
> something" and that would be true; you could also say "the majority of
> people don't want a Boolean" and that would also be true.

Yep, this is where we are.  Discussion had stopped, so it seemed like
time for a decision, and with no one agreeing on what to do, feature
removal seemed like the best approach.  Suggesting we will fix it later
in beta is not a solution.

Now, if everyone agrees we should do X, and X in simple, lets do X, but
I am stil not seeing that.

http://enterprisedb.com