Re: Add column if not exists (CINE) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Add column if not exists (CINE)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 08:18:13PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Kjell Rune Skaaraas <kjella79@yahoo.no> wrote:
[snip]
> > I saw some indications that this might be a minority opinion, well I would like to cast a vote FOR this
functionality.The workarounds are ugly, the solution simple and while I agree it's possible to misuse it, my opinion is
thatyou shouldn't become a surgeon if you can't handle a scalpel. In this case I get the feeling I'm reading
instructionson how to do surgery with a butter knife because we don't dare hand out anything sharper.

> I've already said my piece on this, but I couldn't agree more.  Well
> said, and your use case is exactly the one I want it for.

+1 (Scribbles down the phrase "instructions on how to do surgery with a
butter knife because we don't dare hand out anything sharper" for future
repurposing)

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166