Re: C-Language Functions: VarChar and Text arguments - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Carel Combrink
Subject Re: C-Language Functions: VarChar and Text arguments
Date
List pgsql-novice
Quoting Carel Combrink <s25291930@tuks.co.za>:

> [...]
>>>   LANGUAGE C
>>>   VOLATILE
>>>   STRICT
>>>   SECURITY DEFINER;
>>>
>>> The output I get when I call the function:
>>> My_database=# SELECT Test_Function('arg0', 'arg1', 'arg2');
>>>
>>> is:
>>>
>>> INFO:  Inputs :
>>>         arg0: arg�V"�
>>>         arg1: arg1��O"
>>>         arg2: arg2��O"
>>>
>>>  test_function
>>> ---------------
>>>              0
>>> (1 row)
>>>
>>> What is the 'garbage' I see at the end of the output?
>>> Am I calling the correct functions in my C code to retrieve the
>>> arguments and then the correct ones to display them?
>>
>> You need to use a text* structure. See this page, it explains it all:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/xfunc-c.html
>>

> One thing I noted: in my function I used "text* arg2_textp =
> PG_GETARG_VARCHAR_P(2);" I changed this to
> "PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(2)" but it made no difference.
> If you look closely to the function I am using the text* structure.
> If I copy and paste the function "copytext" into my library and compile
> and create the funciton (see
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/xfunc-c.html)
> an add the line
> "ereport( INFO, ( errcode( ERRCODE_SUCCESSFUL_COMPLETION ),
> errmsg("Text: %s", VARDATA(new_t))));"
> and call the function from postgreSQL I get the following output:
> SELECT copytext('test_string');
> INFO:  Text: test_stringES/postgres-8.4.mo
>   copytext
> -------------
>  test_string
> (1 row)
>
> (NOTE: after the first call to the function it all seems fine, but when
> I rerun the same command (press up and enter) I get the above output)
>
> I can see that the string that gets returned is correct but when I try
> to access the data part of the argument in the function using the
> VARDATA(new_t) command I get garbage. Am I using the correct command to
> access the data portion of the text* structure. According to the
> documentation at the link the VARDATA should return the data portions
> of the text* structure but it is giving me garbage.
>
> I get the same output when using "new_t->vl_dat" in stead of
> "VARDATA(new_t)".
>

>>> In my original function I want to send the name of an entity to the
>>> database and then add the name to a table but this is a problem if the
>>> name is garbled.
>>>
>>> Using: PostgreSQL 8.4
>>> OS: Linux Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carel Combrink
>>> s25291930@tuks.co.za
>>>
>>> This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer
>>> to www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ for full
>>> details. / Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
>>> onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
>>> www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ beskikbaar.
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Brian Modra   Land line: +27 23 5411 462
>> Mobile: +27 79 69 77 082
>> 5 Jan Louw Str, Prince Albert, 6930
>> Postal: P.O. Box 2, Prince Albert 6930
>> South Africa
>> http://www.zwartberg.com/
>>

> --
> Carel Combrink
> s25291930@tuks.co.za
>
> This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer
> to www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ for full
> details. / Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
> onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
> www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ beskikbaar.

 From the output I can assume the string is not null terminated, if it
is not I assume once again that I should do this on my own (null
terminate it).

Isn't there an easier way to use the data (text*) in a printf() type
way, I need to construct a SQL query from the input data and I am
using the printf() notation and %s only works on zero terminated
strings.