Re: make check hangs in alpha5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Giles Lean
Subject Re: make check hangs in alpha5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Could this be an issue with VirtualBox?  Have you used this VM for
> testing before?

As I've hit a few bugs in VirtualBox, this is a definite
possibility.  (So is Tom's suggestion of inconsistent
sources.)

Because I could, I just installed a new CentOS 5.4 (no
updates, 64 bit) VM on VirtualBox 3.1.6 hosted on OX X 10.5.8
(Leopard) with bridged networking.

I installed postgresql-9.0alpha5-revised.tar.bz2, compiled it
with the default options, ran 'make check' and everything
passed:
 =======================  All 122 tests passed.  =======================

I'm not sure that this helps much as it doesn't rule out
VirtualBox, but my experience with it running Linux has
been positive.  I do reboot the host at the first hint of
trouble and that fixes many ills; VirtualBox is not what
I would consider production ready, but it's competitive
and I switched to it from Parallels which I'd paid for.

I'd trial VMware but it doesn't claim to support the *BSDs
which is a feature I need, and I've seen at least one report
where it didn't work well with FreeBSD.  That's hearsay, of
course, but it makes me cautious, particularly when I've got
something that works "well enough".

Regards,

Giles