Re: 9.0 release notes done - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 9.0 release notes done
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:

> >> In hindsight I could have loaded the ASCII release notes into a wiki and
> >> people could have modified, them, and later I could have converted them
> >> to SGML,
>
> That was, in fact, *exactly* what you said you'd do 3 months ago when we
> discussed this.

I now remember discussing it but I don't remember many of the details.

> > Yeah, I don't think that would have been better.
>
> Thing is, doing things like rearranging items for clarity is
> prohibitively painful in SGML.  And while I know a professional
> copy-editor who would be willing to fix grammar, etc, she's not going
> anywhere near SGML.
>
> I think we're back at having two sets of feature information: one for
> the general public, one for the technically inclined.
>
> Or, to put it another way: I do the feature list for the general public.
>  I'm not doing it in SGML.  It's too freaking hard to edit.  If someone
> else wants to take up doing that work, they can do it in any format they
> want.

I can accept diffs in any format and merge them into the SGML.  That's
the way the proofreaders are working:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Documentation_Proofreading

I do not require them to submit SGML;  just some format where I can
identify the lines that changed.  I can do the same for the release
notes.  I have to check the diffs anyway so manually merging in the
changes isn't a problem.

It is certainly easy to put the information on a wiki for a week and
allow it to be proofread before adding the SGML markup.  However, there
will still be adjustments after that and I am still going to be merging
stuff into SGML, just not as much.

http://enterprisedb.com
 PG East:  http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do