Re: Incomplete pg_dump operation - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From peter@vfemail.net
Subject Re: Incomplete pg_dump operation
Date
List pgsql-novice
Done.  The command generates no response.  I'm returned to a command prompt.  If I append a semicolon to the command, I
geta syntax error.

-----

At 07:39 AM 2/7/2010, Francisco Leovey wrote:
>Just do a
> SELECT * from xyz where OID = 2196359751

investigatedthe REINDEX command described at pp. 288 and 847-849 of the 1335-page PostgreSQL 7.4.2 Documentation manual
at
<<http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/7.4/postgresql-7.4.2-US.pdf>http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/7.4/postgresql-7.4.2-US.pdf>http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/7.4/postgresql-7.4.2-US.pdf

>This morning, I executed a:
>    REINDEX DATABASE database_name FORCE;
>command, and received a bunch of:
>    NOTICE:  table "pg_xxxxx" was reindexed
>messages -- which all look just fine.
>I then executed a:
>    REINDEX TABLE xyz;
>command -- using the table name pg_dump was complaining about yesterday -- and received this message:
>    ERROR:  could not open relation with OID 2196359751
>making reference to the same OID pg_dump complained about yesterday.
>How do I identify this offensive data record that's causing so much disruption and, perhaps, delete it?
>-------
>At 10:08 AM 2/6/2010, <http://us.mc517.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=peter@vfemail.net>peter@vfemail.net wrote:
>>A shell script runs pg_dump once each day to backup a Postgresql database and then compress it for storage.  The
scriptand backup process worked flawlessly for years, but now returns these error messages:

>>   pg_dump: ERROR:  could not open relation with OID 2196359751
>>   pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "xyz" failed: PQendcopy() failed.
>>   pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  could not open relation with OID 2196359751
>>   pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.xyz ({various_field_names}) TO stdout;
>>
>>The pg_dump command halts with these error messages after copying or dumping about 50% of the database.  Accordingly,
onlya fraction of the database is actually being backed up.