encoding error in new Postgres version - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Mark Steben
Subject encoding error in new Postgres version
Date
List pgsql-admin

Good morning

We recently (last month) upgraded from postgres 8.2 to 8.3.

We run linux redhat on our production servers, although a couple

Of our developers run Windows XP 32 bit.  They restore a pg_dump

Copy of our production database onto their local machine.

In 8.2 they had no problem.  In 8.3, however they now get the following error

On several tables:

   pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed: ERROR:  character 0xe28899 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "WIN1252"
CONTEXT:  COPY emails, line 3923

I’ve had him change CLIIENT_ENCODING to UTF-8, then to WIN1252 all to no avail.

I also tried running the pgdump file through the ICONV program on the linux side before

Porting it over.

We don’t have this problem in any of our linux environments.

I’ve attached the developer’s postgresql.conf  file for your reference.  Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark StebenDatabase Administrator

@utoRevenue®-"Join the Revenue-tion"
95 Ashley Ave., West Springfield, Ma