Re: Adding support for SE-Linux security - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Adding support for SE-Linux security
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ron Mayer wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Well, the bottom line is that this effort should grow the development
> > and user community of Postgres --- it if doesn't, it is a failure.
>
> Really?  Even if it only allows existing Postgres users and companies to
> expand their use into higher security applications IMHO it's a success.
>
> If a main goal were increasing users, implementing MySQL-isms
> and MSFTSqlServer-isms would seem the biggest bang for the buck.

Well, it should expand the user-base because right now we don't have
many current users who are looking for these features --- if we did, it
would be an easy decision to add these features.  Second, it should add
new developers because we have limited developer resources, and I am not
sure adding additional security is at the top of our priority list, and
we don't have many security-expert developers so by definition we need
more to implement this reliably.

These might be unpleasant opinions, but I believe they are accurate.

http://enterprisedb.com