Re: [Bacula-users] Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject Re: [Bacula-users] Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:22:50 +0100 (CET)
"Kern Sibbald" <kern@sibbald.com> wrote:

> Yes, that is my experience too.  I understand Craig's comments,
> but I would much prefer that Bacula just backup and restore and
> leave the checking of filename consistencies to other programs.
> At least for the moment, that seems to work quite well.  Obviously
> if users mix character sets, sometime display of filenames in
> Bacula will be wierd, but nevertheless Bacula will backup and
> restore them so that what was on the system before the backup is
> what is restored.

I expect a backup software has a predictable, reversible behaviour
and warn me if I'm shooting myself in the foot.

It should be the responsibility of the admin to restore files in a
proper place knowing that locales may be a problem.

I think Bacula is taking the right approach.

Still I'd surely appreciate as a feature a "tool" that will help me
to restore files in a system with a different locale than the
original one or warn me if the locale is different or it can't be
sure it is the same.
That's exactly what Postgresql is doing: at least warning you.
Even Postgresql is taking the right approach.

An additional "guessed original locale" field and a tool/option to
convert/restore with selected locale could be an interesting feature.

What is Bacula going to do with xattr on different systems?

Postgresql seems to offer a good choice of tools to convert between
encodings and deal with bytea.
Formally I'd prefer bytea but in real use it may just be an
additional pain and other DB may not offer the same tools for
encoding/bytea conversions.

Is it possible to search for a file in a backup set?
What is it going to happen if I'm searching from a system that has a
different locale from the one the backup was made on?
Can I use regexp? Can accents be ignored during searches?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it