Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John Rouillard
Subject Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 03:20:12PM -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> Robert Schnabel wrote:
> >Nope.  Forgive my ignorance but isn't that what a UPS is for anyway?
> >Along with a BBU controller.
>
> If you have a UPS *and* a BBU controller, then things are much
> better--those should have a write cache that insulates you from the
> worst of the problems.  But just a UPS alone doesn't help you very much:
>
> 1) A UPS is built with a consumable (the battery), and they do wear
> out.  Unless you're proactive about monitoring UPS battery quality and
> doing tests, you won't find this out until the first time the power goes
> out and the UPS doesn't work anymore.

Well the bbu is just another battery (ok some are capacitors but...)
so the same caveats apply for a bbu raid card. We test ours every 6
months and fail them if they are less than a 5 day capacity (failure
over a long weekend 3 days + 1-2 day(s) to fix the issue (replace
power supply, mobo etc.)).

--
                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111