Re: EOL for 7.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From daveg
Subject Re: EOL for 7.4?
Date
Re: EOL for 7.4?
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 02:22:01AM +0000, Greg Stark wrote:

> Really I think you guys are on the wrong track trying to map Postgres
> releases to commercial support terms. None of the Postgres releases
> are "supported" in the sense that there's no warranty and no promises,
> it's all best effort. If you want a promise of anything then pay
> someone for that service.
>
> As with any open source software if you're running 7-year-old versions
> of the software you can't seriously expect the developers to take any
> interest in bugs you discover which don't affect current releases.
> Other projects don't release back branches at all. The most the
> developers are likely to do if your bugs require serious engineering
> is declare that the version you're using is too old.

Claiming to support versions that are "too old" is giving users a false
sense of comfort. Encouraging users to use these versions is actually
harming them as when this happens they will be stuck with either living
with the bug or doing an immediate unplanned upgrade.

I suggest we announce now that both 7.4 and 8.0 will EOL when 8.5 is expected
to ship, or to comfort those who never use .0 versions when 8.5.1 ships.

-dg

--
David Gould       daveg@sonic.net      510 536 1443    510 282 0869