Re: Mac OS Roman import? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Mac OS Roman import?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 02:54:38PM -0700, Christophe Pettus wrote:
> I find myself needing to regularly import data encoded as Mac OS Roman
> (yes, it is coming from an Macintosh OS 9 system) into a UTF-8
> PostgreSQL database.

How tightly integrated into PG do you want it?  You can define custom
character conversions if you want (although I've never tried this).
Python appears to know how to convert to/from "MacRoman"[1] by default,
so pl/python should make this reasonably easy.

Otherwise, iconv is a useful tool.  The project's homepage suggests
that it knows how to do the conversions, but I can't figure out the
command line needed.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

 [1] http://docs.python.org/library/codecs.html