Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Bruce Momjian<bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> >> As I've said before, I am presently of the opinion that Streaming
> >> Replication has little chance of making it into 8.5. ?This opinion is
> >> vulnerable to contrary evidence, like a new version of the patch
> >> showing up that shows massive progress. ?But the patch was bounced
> >> from CF 2009-07 for a whole series of architectural problems which
> >> have to be addressed before we can even get to implementation details,
> >> bugs, documentation, etc. ?Hot Standby is in better shape but amount
> >> of code cleanup needed is substantial and there is also quite a bit of
> >> 'git diff master | grep XXX' that needs to be gone through.
> >
> > I agree. ?I think it is unlikely we will have anything ready to commit
> > for Streaming Replication or Hot Standby for the next commit-fest in
> > mid-September, and if we go for a 3-CF (commit fest) release, that gives
> > us only one final CF to get those features accepted, again unlikely. ?We
> > are either going to need to go to a 4-CF release, change the way we are
> > developing these patches, or both to get either in 8.5.
>
> I don't think a 4-CF release is going to help.  It's just going to be
> 2 more months before everything else that has been done gets released.
>  Call me a pessimist if you will, but zero times an arbitrary number
> of CommitFests is still zero.
>
> The only solution here is to get more people working on these patches.
>  I have volunteered to work on HS and would also be willing to work on
> SR.  Work can be reviewing or actual code.  But I cannot work on a
> patch I cannot see, and neither can anyone else.

Agreed, so we fall back to "change the way we are developing these
patches".  I am hesistant to jump into managing these patches until they
get their shot by their original authors in the September CF, but
managing them starting in mid-October will probably be too late for them
to get into 8.5.

http://enterprisedb.com