replay WAL segments without a "base backup" ? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Kempter
Subject replay WAL segments without a "base backup" ?
Date
Re: replay WAL segments without a "base backup" ?  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: replay WAL segments without a "base backup" ?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-admin
Hi all;

due to operator error at one of my client sites we're trying to restore a
deleted db.

We did a restore with a pgdump that went fine but the dump is 3weeks old. they
do have WAL segments and they claim that the WAL segments are exactly in line
with the needed transactions - from a timing perspective.  However no base
backup with pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() was ever run.

Is there any way to trick postgres into thinking that it needs to play fwd
these WAL's?  Would it work to simply place them in a dir, create a
recovery.conf file pointing to that dir and restart the cluster?

Thanks in advance...