Re: Postgres memory question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Postgres memory question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:49:02 -0400
Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Bill Moran<wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
> > We have servers using about 200 connections on average ... it climbs up
> > to 300+ during busy use.  I've seen it peak as high as 450, and we've seen
> > no performance issues.
> >
> > This is a quad core with 4G of RAM.  Of course the OS isn't windows, it's
> > 64 bit FreeBSD.
>
> I too run 64bit FreeBSD 7.2.  However in my primary use case, anything
> short of 20GB of RAM makes the application very unresponsive when many
> customers are online.  We usually don't have more than about 45 to 50
> connections simultaneously.  My general-use Pg server has 4GB and that
> is more than adequate for the miscellaneous uses of blogs, ad servers,
> and drupal installations.

Results will obviously vary by installation, usage, and application type.

Are you saying you have performance issues with the application when there
are many idle connections?  Because that was the original discussion.
Performance under heavy concurrent load is another topic, and a much more
complex one.

-Bill