Re: suggestion: log_statement = sample - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Janning Vygen
Subject Re: suggestion: log_statement = sample
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 20 July 2009 18:58:21 Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> Perhaps, but I don't think you've quite overcome the 'log everything'
> counter-argument.
#
Not everybody can afford a system with lots of raid arrays or dedicated logging
boxes. Many people log to the same disk. I do it in some projects.

So log_sample gives you quite as much log analysing as full logging but
without the I/O overhead.

Maybe most of the postgresql guys have lots of hardware with RAID 10 SCSI
Disks but reality sometimes differ. we run most of our boxes on IDE RAID 1
without additional disks for logging. In this scenario you just can't log
everything. log_min_duration gives you only a view to long running queries but
that is just on half of the whole picture.

kind regards
Janning