Re: Documentation Improvement suggestions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Documentation Improvement suggestions
Date
Re: Documentation Improvement suggestions
List pgsql-general
Robert James escribió:
> Two small suggestions that might make it easier for newcomers to take
> advantage of the wonderful database:
> 1. Googling Postgres docs produces links for all different versions.  This
> is because incoming links are to different versions.  Besides being
> confusing, it pushes the pages lower in Google, and makes it harder to find
> them.
> Could the website offer a link to the 'current' version, whichever it is.
>  Eg instead of just :
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/creating-cluster.html
> Have:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/creating-cluster.html
> which would keep all incoming links pointed to the current page.

Maybe we should offer a robots.txt file that told crawlers to only index
the "current" version of the docs, not the version-specific ones.

> 2. The 'SQL' in 'PostgresSQL' is hard to say and type.  Everyone drops it
> (even this list!).  Why not change the official name? Again, it would make
> googling and naming things easier.

This is a taboo topic which has created the largest holy wars I've seen
in this project.  Please don't raise it.  If you're interested, search
the archives.