Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I have a better idea.  Simon why don't you create new multi-platform
> > installers, from scratch, and contribute them to the community with no
> > recognition to yourself or your company;  then EDB can reassign the
> > three staff members they have working on the installers to something
> > that more-directly generates revenue for EDB.
> >
> > Assuming that EDB will continue funding 3+ people to create community
> > installers with no PR payback is unrealistic, similar to Josh Berkus's
> > comment of wanting "the moon in a box".  (See my recent posting about PR
> > payback.)
>
> Are we really in a position where we are forced to accept advertising
> from a company because they run what we consider to be a critical part
> of the project? Is that the only alternative?

No, we have other alternatives, and it is possible we can ask EDB for a
change.  All I am saying is I like the benefit we receive from
installers and PRMs (from Command Prompt), and consider the PR cost
small compared to the benefit we receive.

> So you are confirming that EDB has said that it will pull the installers
> if we remove the link?

No, I am not speaking for EDB at all but as a community member.

> I think there is likely to be a reasonable alternative, if we seek it.
> If you do not wish to seek it personally, then we should arrange for
> somebody else to enquire after the options and find a solution.

Uh, I can ask them once we figure out what we want to ask them.  ;-)
I think we are still trying to figure out what PR cost is acceptable to
us, if any, and once we know that, we can ask them.