Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
Re: Vote on Windows installer links  (Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Dave Page wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Simon Riggs<simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> "There is only one currently known Windows installer for PostgreSQL 8.4,
>> and that can only be obtained by visiting an external commercial
>> company's website: http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do
>> Do you think this situation should be changed, if a reasonable
>> alternative can be found? +1 means change, -1 means no change."
>>
>> "Do you believe that I am acting vindictively by asking for this? +1
>> means yes, -1 means no."
>
> You keep talking about our installer, but as I've pointed out, most of
> the packages linked to from postgresql.org come from third party
> websites, some of which are also commercial.
>
> I assume your desire is for *all* of those off-site links to be
> removed, and that you aren't singling out EnterpriseDB?

IMHO ... yes ... but, I think his qualifying things as "if a raonable
alternative can be found" applies here ... if someone is willing ot step
up and contribute a 'none labelled' version, that is in our ftp server,
then the link should be changed ... but I'm not sure how likely that will
be to happen ... ?  Not sure how much work it is to make an installer ...

----