Re: [pgtranslation-translators] on gettext plural support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [pgtranslation-translators] on gettext plural support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 12 April 2009 04:10:07 Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> So it turns out that for the string above it doesn't make any sense to
> have the %d being exactly 1: the code is

> So ntups is either 0, or it's greater than 1 -- the first message does
> not really make sense to me ...
>
> I'm not really seeing whether I have to cater for the case where there
> are zero tuples (in which case the english message is not really
> correct, is it?), or that ntups equals one (which is impossible and thus
> I could just insult the Pope in that translation and no one would
> notice), or ...?

Yes, there are cases where not all of the plural forms can actually happen in
practice.  Just like there are a few cases where n == 1 cannot happen, it may
be possible to prove in some cass that n >= 5 cannot happen, which would be of
interest to Russian, for example.

I don't think there is much you can do here.  Either leave it out, or write
"CANNOT HAPPEN", or just translate normally.