Re: Draft of 8.4 beta announcement, please edit - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Draft of 8.4 beta announcement, please edit
Date
Re: Draft of 8.4 beta announcement, please edit  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thursday 09 April 2009 02:14:44 Josh Berkus wrote:
> As with PostgreSQL 8.3 (released in 2008), version 8.4 includes hundreds
> of patches and dozens of new features.  Among them:

I would drop the reference to 8.3 -- it's confusing.

>      * Parallel Restore (backwards-compatible)

I know what you mean, but the casual reader would hope that *most* of
PostgreSQL is backward compatible, so this can only serve to confuse.

>      * Support SSL certs for authentication

This is not really new, it's just easier/different/something to use.

> Please download and install version 8.4 and test out these new features
> as soon as you can!  You can especially help the PostgreSQL developers
> by trying new features in combination, and by doing a test port of your
> production applications to version 8.4.   Performance comparisons with
> 8.3 are also very helpful.  Tell us what you find!

If you think it's appropriate, adding a call for translators would be nice.