Re: A renewed plea for inclusion of zone.tab - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: A renewed plea for inclusion of zone.tab
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:48:55PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> writes:
> > > At the VERY LEAST, can we PLEASE have the zone.tab file INSTALLED
> > > WHERE IT BELONGS rather than simply ignored, so that even if
> > > further requests to include the information in a system view go
> > > unheard by -hackers, I can at least provide a pgfoundry module or
> > > something to do the job.
> >
> > I still see no point in this unless we expose the information in
> > pg_timezone_names, which requires rather more than a one-line patch.
> > If you want to prepare such a patch and put it in the queue for 8.5,
> > go right ahead.
>
> There's really no point, and a lot of good stuff lost, in leaving this
> thing out.  It's not like the few kilobytes it takes up could possibly
> matter in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed, it seems to me that a patch to install zone.tab during "make
install" could be applied at this time (before beta so that packagers
don't complain that we didn't give them time to fix their file lists).
A more complete patch can be discussed for 8.5.

... though there's not much point in arguing over a patch that no one
has even submitted ...