Re: small but useful patches for text search - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: small but useful patches for text search
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 17 March 2009 18:00:57 Robert Haas wrote:
> Basically, for the project to grow, it needs more committers, and the
> precondition for being added as a committer should be a promise to
> spend a certain amount of time reviewing and committing patches other
> than your own.  According to the wiki, we have 15 committers, which is
> more than enough, but most of those are inactive or are just there as
> maintainers for very specific portions of the code.

The limiting factor is mainly time, not talent or dedication.  Contributing to
PostgreSQL requires a lot of time for learning and staying up to date, and
very few people have lives that permit that.

The alternatives are making the code more modular and improving the tools, but
both can only go so far.