Re: gettext, plural form and translation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: gettext, plural form and translation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Sergey Burladyan escribió:
> Hi, all.
>
> gnu gettext have support for correct plural form translation
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Plural-forms.html),
> but postgresql does not use it. why not ?
> maybe it have some problem in some supported OS ? if not, can it implemented ?
> maybe someone already doing this ?
>
> ps: i try to translate psql message "(1 row)/(3 rows)" but can't do this
> correctly without plural form support.

You don't need plural forms in this example.  We have three separate
messages, one for "(No rows)", another one for the singular "(1 row)"
and a third one for the plural "(N rows)".

We avoid mixing plurals and singulars.  Is this still a problem for you
somewhere?