Re: SYNONYMs revisited - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua Tolley
Subject Re: SYNONYMs revisited
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:14:41AM -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>    SQL/MED does support foreign tables, which are basically synonyms for
>    remote tables.  Other than that, it has no real similarity to synonym
>    behavior for other database objects such as views, functions, or local
>    tables.

I didn't mean to suggest that SQL/MED on its own could be used to make
SYNONYMs, but rather that given SQL/MED, perhaps we could reconsider
some sort of CREATE SYNONYM functionality to go along with it. A major
argument against CREATE SYNONYM in the past was that we wouldn't be able
to create synonyms representing remote objects because we couldn't
access remote objects. With SQL/MED that's no longer the case, so
perhaps that argument no longer applies.

- Josh / eggyknap