Re: new GUC var: autovacuum_process_all_tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: new GUC var: autovacuum_process_all_tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 18:25 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > So you're not aware that we're doing away with pg_autovacuum for good?
> > It's going to be replaced by reloptions, i.e.
> > ALTER TABLE foo SET (autovacuum_enabled = false);
> >
> > Obviously there's no way to add a "catchall" setting.
>
> Seems like a bad plan then. How do you reconcile those conflicting
> requirements?

I don't see them as conflicting; I see yours as a missing feature,
namely the ability to add tables to an autovacuum "group", which could
have settings attached.  Being able to do that is the whole point of
moving settings to reloptions.