Re: pg_upgrade project status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Zdenek Kotala (Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM) wrote:
> And very important thing is that you need old version of postgreSQL
> installed, which is something what packagers does not want. Look on
> Oracle how does it.

Just as a counter-point, Debian handles multiple concurrently installed
versions of PostgreSQL just fine, in large part to specifically deal
with the smooth migration challenge (though also because we realize
people may want to continue using the old version while others may want
to install the new version).

Not sure if that's something the community wants to encourage other
packagers to do or if we should look at making it easier to do, but it's
at least possible and has been done for a pretty large distribution.
Thanks,
    Stephen