Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 64bit - first results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ITAGAKI Takahiro
Subject Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 64bit - first results
Date
List pgsql-general
Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa@gmail.com> wrote:

> 4.) it seems to be no longer "cool" to have your data below Program
> Files / Program Files (x86)
> The default as of know is \ProgramData\<application>

I think all of those directories are only for executable files
and not good to store any data. Is it safe to create database cluster
under "C:\Documents and Settings\postgres" or "C:\Users\postgres" ?
UAC often bytes us when we just try to modify the configuration file.

I'm not sure which directory should we create $PGDATA -- "My Documents",
"Application Data", "Local Settings" or direct child of %USERPROFILE%,
but anyway some of them would be better than "Program Files".

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center