Re: pg_upgrade project status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kenneth Marshall
Subject Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:39:50AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> >> I have had a very brief look at this. Translation to perl doesn't look
> >> difficult. I'll see what I can do during the next week or so.
> >
> > We don't require perl for any other feature, do we? Seems like a pretty
> > onerous requireemnt for Windows in particular. We do use perl in the
> > build scripts, but that's only required if you want to compile from
> > source.
>
> I think it's fairly easy to install Perl on Windows actually.  It
> doesn't sound too onerous a requirement if you want in-place upgrade;
> actually it looks a very reasonable one.
>
> Much more reasonable than Korn shell in any case (or any shell for that
> matter; I think anything is going to be more of a potentially painful
> platform dependency than Perl).
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

+1

I agree with Alvaro. Perl is a breeze to install on Windows with
Activestate and that using shell code to perform this task adds a
huge platform dependency to the code. Perl is a known and well defined
quantity for scripting.

Cheers,
Ken