Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net) wrote:
> As one of the earlier reviewers, I think the design is OK, but the way the
> implementation is presented was not acceptable, and very little has been
> accomplished in terms of reacting to our comments.  For example, where is the
> SQL row security feature, which should have been designed, implemented, and
> committed separately, in the opinion of most commentaries.

Eh?  Are you thinking of column-level privileges, which was committed
last week?  The SQL spec doesn't define row-level security, and coming
up with something willy-nilly on our own doesn't really strike me as the
best approach.  Oracle, SQL Server, etc, also use the security labels
concept that the SE-PostgreSQL patch implements.
Thanks,
    Stephen