Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Friday 16 January 2009 04:09:11 Robert Haas wrote:
> I really wonder what is so terrible about the behavrior as implemented
> in CVS HEAD.  AFAICS, no one except maybe Tom has really specified WHY
> they don't like it, just that they don't like it.  I'm not sure
> whether that's because (1) it's different, and they're used to the old
> way; (2) it involves typing an extra character to get the behavior
> they want; or (3) there's no way to search user and system functions
> simultaneously.

Btw., the reason why I didn't like it is that hiding system tables is OK,
because you never really interact with them, but hiding system functions is
not, because you use those all the time.  It has emerged, however, that some
people appear to think of \df in terms of "what's available" and some in
terms of "what have I done".  And those call for different behaviors.