Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> If you have an idle evening you might want to peruse all the past
> threads about developing better support for modules.  This is clearly
> an area where we need to improve, and it's also clear that no quick
> hack is going to make it significantly better (in fact, it might make
> things worse by creating extra compatibility issues when we do get
> around to implementing a real solution).

I'll try and do that over the next few weeks, I recall seeing at least
some of those threads.  Perhaps we can come up with a good approach to
improve module support for 8.5.

> The main argument against sticking stuff into pg_catalog is that
> pg_dump will think it's a built-in and not dump it.  In some respects
> that could be a plus, but for the most part it's a headache.

Yeah, that issue did occur to me, though my plan for Debian on upgrades
was to try and filter out the PostGIS functions from the old database
and cleanly install them in the new database from scratch, which would
be more easily done if they're just not included in the old dump.  On
the flip side, the support tables for PostGIS need to be migrated, so
something special would have to be done there if they were in
pg_catalog.
Thanks,
    Stephen