Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Waters
Subject Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wednesday 07 January 2009 04:17:10 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> 1. The package it lives in is called "sysstat". Most Linux distros do
> *not* install "sysstat" by default. Somebody should beat up on them
> about that. :)

Hehe, although sysstat and friends did have issues on Linux for a long time.
Nothing worse than misleading stats, so I suspect it lost a lot of friends
back then. It is a lot better these days when most of the "Unix" software
targets Linux first, and other kernels second.

Aside from all the advice here about system tuning, as a system admin I'd also
ask is the box doing the job you need? And are you looking at the Postgres
log (with logging of slow queries) to see that queries perform in a sensible
time? I'd assume with the current performance figure there is an issue
somewhere, but I've been to places where it was as simple as adding one
index, or even modifying an index so it does what the application developer
intended instead of what they ask for ;)