Re: Warning about the 8.4 release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Warning about the 8.4 release
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Everyone knows about the commit fest wiki items, but I am tracking 291
> > threads that need some type of attention;  if only 50% of them are
> > significant for 8.4, that still leaves +100 items that should be
> > completed in the next month.   You can see the full list here:
>
> >     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>
> > If we just move them all to the TODO list, the TODO list will be
> > significantly larger for 8.4 than in previous releases,
>
> ... and will be mostly junk.  90% of what you've got there is either
> already dealt with or not a bug, and certainly not new bugs in 8.4.

You are right that 90% are either not new or not bugs, but they are
things that need correction, and no one benefits by just pushing them
off to a later release.  As I said, if even 50% are things that need
work, they should be completed for 8.4 rather than added to the TODO
list.  These are all things that have been reported during the 8.4
release cycle.

Are you saying we no longer care about fixing small issues?  I think the
project quality will suffer.

http://enterprisedb.com