Re: Reduce heap tuple header size - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reduce heap tuple header size
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Some of these may never happen (I'm not even in favor of all of them)
>> but it's certain that we will want to do some of them.  I don't want to
>> take the same hit over and over when some intelligent project management
>> would let us take it just once or twice.

> Yes, there are some good ones there, but the idea that somehow they are
> all going to hit in the same release seems unlikely.  I say let's do
> some now, some later, and move ahead.

I think it's very likely that P-I-T recovery and replication will hit
in the 7.4 release cycle.  I would prefer to see us plan ahead to do
these other changes for 7.4 as well, and get as many of them done in
that cycle as we can.

Basically my point is that there are costs and benefits to this sort
of change, and many of the costs are quantized --- it doesn't cost
more to make three incompatible disk-format changes than one, *as long
as they're in the same release*.  So we should try to do some actual
management of such changes, not accept them willy-nilly whenever someone
feels like doing one.

This patch is unlikely to suffer significant bit-rot if we hold it for
7.4, and that's what I think we should do with it.

            regards, tom lane