Re: Switch off PITR - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Switch off PITR
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 03 December 2008 14:22:28 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 13:16 -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> > > How do I turn off PITR in the mean time? I commented archive_command
> > > and issued a pg_ctl reload and postgres is *still* archiving logs to
> > > the backup server.
> >
> > Pretty sure you're going to need a full restart -- reload won't cause
> > that parameter to be re-evaluated.
>
> You can change archive_command to something like /bin/true and reload.
> However you will have to do a full base backup to get postgresql doing
> log shipping again.

You can probably avoid this by having your archive command put the xlogs
somewhere local, and then once you restart setting up the archive command to
push back to your backup and then moving the missing logs manually.  (This is
more/less fragile depending on exactly how you've set things up, but should
be doable)

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net