Re: Annoying Reply-To - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Annoying Reply-To
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe escribió:

> I really do prefer the way this list works because when I hit reply
> all to a discussion with "Bob Smith and Postgresql-general" I know
> that Bob gets a direct answer from me, now, when he needs it at 2am
> when his servers are puking their data out their gigE ports, and the
> rest of the list gets it whenever the mailing list server can get
> around to it.

Right.  It also works in the following situations:

1. Bob Smith posted without being subscribed; when the moderator
approves and somebody replies to Bob, whenever Bob responds the person
that he is responding to will receive his response right away without
having to wait for the moderator.

1a. Note that this means that crossposting to lists from other projects
works too (for example when there are discussions between here and
FreeBSD)

2. In the example (1) above, Bob is sure to receive the response,
whereas if the list was the Reply-To-set kind, Bob would never get it;
he'd have to troll the archives

3. Discussions continue to work even when the list servers die (happens,
even if rare) or they are very slow (relatively frequent)