Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 01:13:29PM +0300, Asko Oja wrote:

> but why would you put part of your business logic into some configuration
> tables while you could keep it in your own functions

Because the parameters of the business logic should not be in the
code.  The parameters should be part of the configuration, to be
administered by the administrators (i.e. the DBAs) and not by the
database developers.  In traditional large database shops, that is the
division of responsibility, and the inability to work in that way will
hamper Postgres adoption in that environment.  (Maybe we don't care,
but let's at least be honest that changing the culture of such
database shops is not something we're going to achieve quickly.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/