Re: Obfuscated stored procedures (was Re: Oracle and Postgresql) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Obfuscated stored procedures (was Re: Oracle and Postgresql)
Date
List pgsql-general
Added to TODO under features not wanted:

    Incomplete itemObfuscated function source code (not wanted)

        Obfuscating function source code has minimal protective benefits
    because anyone with super-user access can find a way to view the code.
    To prevent non-super-users from viewing function source code, remove
    SELECT permission on pg_proc.

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > As much as I'm impressed with the "we do it properly or not at all" attitude, it'd be nice if there was an option
tostop the casual user from viewing code.

> > I'll admit to obfusicating bits and pieces using C, even though the function and everything it acts on are tied
downwith permissions. I understand in reality it provides no real extra security but somehow users being able to easily
viewsomething they don't have access to execute beyond it's name just feels wrong.