Re: Patch for SQL-standard negative valued year-month literals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen R. van den Berg
Subject Re: Patch for SQL-standard negative valued year-month literals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>"Stephen R. van den Berg" <srb@cuci.nl> writes:
>> Intervals are a scalar, not an addition of assorted values, alternating signs
>> between fields would be wrong.

>Sorry, you're the one who's wrong on that.  We've treated intervals as
>three independent fields for years now (and before that it was two
>independent fields).

Ok, didn't know that.
Let's put it differently then: I can understand that the standard
considers it a scalar and not an addition, but apparently the addition
characteristic is being used in Postgres code already; that makes it
undesirable to change it indeed.
--
Sincerely,          Stephen R. van den Berg.

He did a quarter of the work in *half* the time!