Re: Better auth errors from libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Better auth errors from libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 08:10:45PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:59:40 -0400
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > >     psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "root"
> > >     HINT:  Is pg_hba.conf set properly on the server?
> >
> > Seems pretty useless.  What does "set properly" mean?  There isn't
> > even any good reason to think that the solution to most auth failures
> > is to change pg_hba.conf, so I'd bet that this hint is wrong far more
> > often than it's right.
>
> I think something like:
>
> psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "root"
> HINT: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/client-authentication.html
>
> Would be nice. Heck in most modern terminals the HINT would be
> clickable too :)

I'm all for something, and that's a much better something.  What we
have now--nothing--actively distresses newbies for no good reason.

I don't know how many people we've lost right at that point, but the
number has to be high, as most people don't just hop into IRC with
their problem.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!