Re: PostgreSQL TPC-H test result? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL TPC-H test result?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:06:01PM +0800, Amber wrote:
> Yes, we don't care about the performance results, but we do care about the point that PostgreSQL can't give the
correctresults of TPC-H queries.

I have never heard a reputable source claim this.  I have grave doubts
about their claim: they don't specify what implementation of TPC-H
they use.  They don't actually have the right, AIUI, to claim they
tested under TPC-H, since their results aren't listed anywhere on
http://www.tpc.org/tpch/results/tpch_results.asp?orderby=dbms.  It
could well be that they made up something that kinda does something
like TPC-H, tailored to how their database works, and then claimed
others can't do the job.  That's nice marketing material, but it's not
a meaningful test result.

Without access to the methodology, you should be wary of accepting any
of the conclusions.

There is, I understand, an implementation of something like TPC-H that
you could use to test it yourself.  http://osdldbt.sourceforge.net/.
DBT-3 is supposed to be that workload.  Please note that the license
does not allow you to publish competitive tests for marketing
reasons.  but you could see for yourself whether the claim is true
that way.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104