Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 04:39:09PM +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> David Fetter, 01.09.2008 16:08:
>>> because we are making extensive usage of Oracle's windowing
>>> functions
>>
>> http://umitanuki.net/pgsql/wfv04/design.html
>
> I knew there was work going on regarding this, but I didn't know how
> definite the decision was to integrate that into 8.4
>
> It's too bad lead(), lag() won't make it

It's not certain they won't make it, only that they're not in the
current patch.

>> It's even more fun with CTEs.
>> <http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CTEReadme>
>
> Recursive CTE are quite cool, and a valid "replacement" for CONNECT
> BY.  I've used it already with SQL Server 2005 and once you get the
> idea it's really nice.

It's also standard, where Oracle's syntax is proprietary.  In
PostgreSQL, when there's a choice between the two, the standard wins.

>> Those will both be fixed, at least to a large degree, in 8.4 :)
>
> What exactly means "large degree" :)

It means we may not get everything the SQL:2008 standard specifies for
CTEs and windowing functions on the first pass.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!