Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
Re: Oracle and Postgresql  (Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com>)
Re: Oracle and Postgresql  (Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe@bepress.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:44:38PM -0400, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> M2Y wrote:
>>
>> Why most enterprises prefer Oracle than Postgres even though it is
>> free and has a decent enough user community.
>
> Databases are a critical part of many companies' business.  I work
> for  telecom company, and if we were to lose our databases, we'd be
> out of  business, period.  So, "free and decent enough" are not good
> enough.  If  you are going to bet your business on anything, you
> want to be as sure  as possible that "it" is reliable and that you
> can expect quick action  if "it" should break.

What they want to have is a huge entity they can blame when everything
goes wrong.  They're not interested in the actual response times or
even in the much more important time-to-fix because once they've
blamed Oracle, they know the responsibility is no longer on their
shoulders.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!