Re: Dumping/Restoring with constraints? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Dumping/Restoring with constraints?
Date
List pgsql-general

> > The recommended solution is to use a regular schema-and-data dump.
> > If you really have to separate schema and data, the --disable-triggers
> > switch might help, though you open yourself to the possibility of
>
> Thanks Tom.
>
> This is the dump command being used on a 8.2.3 database on Linux:
>
>    $ pg_dumpall > mydb.sql
>    $ umask 077
>    $ gzip mydb.sql
>
> Then I download the mydb.sql.gz file into my local computer (Mac OSX
> with 8.3.3) and unzip it to mydb.sql.
>
> The local database is already created, with all tables and constraints and all.

Don't do that.  Do one of the following:
*) Allow the dump file to create all tables.
*) In the early step dump the data only with pg_dumpall --disable-triggers -a

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com