Re: What's size of your PostgreSQL Database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: What's size of your PostgreSQL Database?
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 11:01 -0400, justin wrote:
> > Ow Mun Heng wrote:

When talking about pure read performance, the basic rule is the more
spindles you can have active simultaneously, the better.  By that rule,
RAID 0 is the best, but you have to balance that with reliability.  If
you have 10 disks in a RAID 0, the chance of the entire system going
down because of a disk failure is 10x that of a single disk system --
is that acceptable?

In theory, you can have so many disks that the bottleneck moves to some
other location, such as the IO bus or memory or the CPU, but I've never
heard of that happening to anyone.  Also, you want to get fast, high-
quality disks, as 10 15,000 RPM disks are going to perform better than
10 7,200 RPM disks.

Another solution is RAM, if you can get enough RAM in the system to hold
your working set of data, then the speed of the disk is not really
relevant.  Of course, that's tough to do if you've got 3TB of data,
which I don't know if that's your case or not.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com