Re: pgbench duration option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pgbench duration option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I repeat my concern that transaction rates measured with this patch will
>> be significantly different from those seen with the old code
>
> Last time I tried to quantify the overhead of logging with timestamps on
> I couldn't even measure its impact, it was lower than the usual pgbench
> noise.

There's a hardware deficiency on certain machines -- I think it's old
ones.  I don't know if machines that would currently be used in
production would contain such a problem.

In any case, I think using SIGALRM as proposed by Tom is a very easy way
out of the problem.