Re: Fwd: Proposal - UUID data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Fwd: Proposal - UUID data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 01:04:33AM -0700, Kless wrote:
> I am not in favor of adding more database-specific types to ANY
> database
> - and I think PostGres doing it was a mistake.

So you think that adding full text indexing, gist/gin indexes, text,
geometric types should have waited until the SQL standard specified
them? With that kind of thinking we'd still be in the database stone
age.

One of postgresql's greatest strengths is user-defined types, lets use
it.

> If there is a demand for it, then it should be added to the SQL
> standard.  That is the correct way to propose a change.  That's why
> there are standards.

You are ofcourse free to propose it to them, but the question is if
they'd listen...

Have a nice day,