Re: pg_dumpall asking for password for each database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Krzysztof Barlik
Subject Re: pg_dumpall asking for password for each database
Date
List pgsql-general
> What version are you running?  IIRC it should remember the password
> between databases.

8.4.0 on Linux/x86_64. It does not, and man page clearly says:

"pg_dumpall  needs  to  connect  several  times  to  the
PostgreSQL  server (once per database). If you use password
authentication it will ask for a password  each  time."

Is there any specific reason for this behaviour ?

Thanks for Scott and Joshua - I read documentation about
.pgpass and PGPASSWORD, I just thought it would be a bit
more convenient and possibly safer to do it without
storing password in files or environment variables.

Thanks,
Krzysztof