Re: Fusion-io ioDrive - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Cédric Villemain
Subject Re: Fusion-io ioDrive
Date
List pgsql-performance
Le Wednesday 02 July 2008, Jonah H. Harris a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Jeffrey Baker <jwbaker@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Basically the ioDrive is smoking the RAID.  The only real problem with
> > this benchmark is that the machine became CPU-limited rather quickly.
>
> That's traditionally the problem with everything being in memory.
> Unless the database algorithms are designed to exploit L1/L2 cache and
> RAM, which is not the case for a disk-based DBMS, you generally lose
> some concurrency due to the additional CPU overhead of playing only
> with memory.  This is generally acceptable if you're going to trade
> off higher concurrency for faster service times.  And, it isn't only
> evidenced in single systems where a disk-based DBMS is 100% cached,
> but also in most shared-memory clustering architectures.

My experience is that using an IRAM for replication (on the slave) is very
good. I am unfortunely unable to provide any numbers or benchs :/ (I'll try
to get some but it won't be easy)

I would probably use some flash/memory disk when Postgresql get the warm
stand-by at transaction level (and is up for readonly query)...

--
Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données

Attachment